Governing Ourselves

Governing Ourselves informs members of legal and regulatory matters affecting the profession. This section provides updates on licensing and qualification requirements, notification of Council resolutions and reports from various Council committees, including reports on accreditation and discipline matters.

Deduct your membership fee

Don’t forget to claim professional fees on your tax return

Don’t forget to claim your 2009 College membership fee on your income tax form. But don’t send Ottawa a paper receipt. The federal government doesn’t want it.

The General Income Tax and Benefit Guide specifies under “Line 212  – Annual union, professional, or like dues” that receipts for dues should not be included with tax returns, whether you are filing by mail or electronically.

With an account in the private Members’ Area of the College web site, you can check your membership fee payment record and print your own receipt for this or previous years, whenever you need one. The College will also print and mail receipts upon request when you call Client Services at 416-961-8800 or, toll-free in Ontario, 1-888-534-2222.

If you haven’t yet created your private Members’ Area account, click on Create an Account and follow the directions. The process takes less than two minutes.

Tax receipts are posted to individual member accounts each year when the annual fee is paid.