Governing Ourselves informs members of legal and regulatory matters affecting the profession. This section provides updates on licensing and qualification requirements, notification of Council resolutions and reports from various Council committees, including reports on accreditation and discipline matters.
At its March 27–28 meeting, College Council approved:
- that the Executive Committee assume a process for filling vacancies on statutory, regulatory, standing, special or ad hoc committees during this Council term (This will require a bylaw amendment which will be considered by Council on June 12–13, 2014.)
- parameters and protocols to enable public deputations at Council meetings and annual meetings of members on a pilot basis beginning in June 2014
- the appointment of Wes Vickers, OCT, as Chair of the Human Resources Committee
- that the purpose and theme of the strategic plan is Strengthening Self-Regulation
- a mission statement for the College, as follows: The College regulates the teaching profession in Ontario in the public interest by setting and enforcing high ethical and professional standards for its members
- values for the College:
-> The Ontario College of Teachers commits to:
- protect the public interest
- quality, excellence and professionalism
- honesty and integrity
- accountability and transparency
- efficiency, effectiveness and fiscal responsibility
- respectfulness and teamwork between the College Council, staff and stakeholder community, each respecting the others’ role
- inclusivity and respect for diversity.
- Strategic Priorities for the College:
-> broaden membership engagement in the work of the College and, in particular, engage non-traditional members, including retired teachers and First Nations, Métis and Inuit teachers
-> develop strategies to facilitate the ongoing professional learning of members
-> develop a comprehensive, long-term communication plan that includes other regulators and leverages the College’s website and other communication vehicles to:
- an action plan and timeline for implementation of the strategic plan be drafted for Council’s consideration at the June 2014 Council meeting.
At a special meeting on January 21, 2014, College Council:
- recommended to the Minister of Education that the registration and certification amendments to the Teachers’ Qualifications Regulation regarding the enhanced teacher education program be approved.