Kids and Technology

College call centre staff answer over 1,000 calls every day. Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.

Answering Your Calls

I have to submit an official form to the College. Do you need the original?

Originals of some supporting documents are required. However, we do accept many signed forms by fax at 416-961-8822. The College web site offers many forms that can be printed and faxed, including

  • Previously Certified Teacher Reinstatement
  • Request to Update Registry Information (for change of address or other personal information)
  • Statement of Successful Teaching Experience
  • Conversion of an Interim Certificate of Qualification to a Certificate of Qualification Application
  • Notice of Retirement

Please read the instructions concerning supporting documents to determine when originals are required.

I am applying to a new board. Additional qualifications have been added to my file since my 2004 Certificate of Qualification was issued in January. How can I show the new school board that I have updated qualifications?

If the College has your current e-mail address you will automatically receive an e-mail confirmation, whether for an Additional Qualification or an Additional Basic Qualification. The school board can also check the public register to access this information.

I completed an Additional Qualification in the spring and summer. How do I notify the College and will the College forward the acknowledgement to QECO and/or OSSTF?

The College will update your qualifications based on a recommendation from the course provider(s). If we have your current e-mail address on file we will send you an acknowledgement of the added qualification. The College does not forward acknowledgements to QECO or OSSTF. You must contact them directly to find out what they require in order to update your records.

I have just been granted an Interim Certificate of Qualification by the College. It is subject to terms, conditions and limitations. Is there a time limit for completing these requirements?

Where a certificate is subject to terms, conditions and limitations, this information and the date by which the conditions must be met appear on the certificate. It is very important that you satisfy the conditions by the specified date. Other-wise the College may be obliged by provincial legislation and regulations to cancel your certificate, in which case you will not be able to teach in Ontario's publicly funded schools.

I am retiring from my school board in June but I plan on doing occasional teaching. Should I fill out a notice of retirement?

In order to teach in a publicly funded school, a teacher must be a member in good standing of the Ontario College of Teachers. Therefore, if you plan on doing occasional teaching you will need to maintain your membership in good standing.

Once you have retired from both full-time and supply teaching, please notify the College by completing and submitting the Notice of Retirement form. When we receive this form (and supporting documents, if applicable) we will change your status on the public register to retired.