ps 10 cover.jpg (60060 bytes)
September 1999

memb.jpg (5009 bytes)

AG00041_.gif (503 bytes) Back to the College's Home Page

Q: I have recently divorced and have decided to return to using my former surname. What documents must I provide to the College to have my Certificate of Qualification and Certificate of Registration re-issued in my former surname?

A: If you assumed your spouse’s surname without taking it as your legal name when you married and you wish to revert to your birth name, you must provide a copy of your divorce decree or your birth certificate.

If you are reverting to a previous married name, you must provide a copy of your divorce decree and a copy of a change of name certificate or citizenship/immigration document in the name you wish to use on your certificates.

If you legally adopted your spouse’s surname by applying to the Ontario Registrar-General when you married, you must go through the same process to revert to your former surname. In this case, you must provide a notarized copy of your change of name certificate to the College.

 Q: If my board has my current address on file, why do I have to submit it to the College?

A: The College’s bylaws require all members to notify the College of any new address in writing within 30 days. Since the member’s original signature is required, e-mails are not acceptable. Even though your board has your new address, in order to protect your privacy, this is not part of the information that employers share with the College. Your address is also part of the information on the College register that is not public, and that we would not normally share with your board.

Q: Where is my 1999 tax receipt?

A: Your 1999 $90 tax receipt is attached to your Certificate of Qualification. Please hold onto it. Duplicate tax receipts cost $10. If you are certified in Ontario and reside in Quebec, a second, free copy of your tax receipt will be mailed to you to fulfill that province’s tax requirements.

Why does the College not indicate that a particular credential is considered equivalent to a degree from an Ontario university? For example, from Romania, a Diploma de Licenta will not show up as a degree. However, it will be listed in the degree section as Diploma de Licenta.

The College shows the credential on the Certificate of Qualification as it was conferred by the institution at the time it was granted.

Q: What is the College doing to provide service to members in French?

A: The College strives to provide excellent bilingual service to its members and the general public. Almost seven per cent of College members are francophone, while about 24 per cent of our staff are bilingual.

Members are able to call the College at any time and access our voice response unit to obtain valuable information in either French or English. From Monday to Friday between 8:30 and 5:00, bilingual staff are available to assist our members with their inquiries. Peak hours are between 1 and 2 p.m.; waiting times for all callers can be significantly longer during this period.

Currently, about one-quarter of the callers contacting Client Services wish to be served in French. To meet this expectation, one-third of our call centre staff are available to meet member needs in either language. Members are also welcome to visit our walk-in counter on the 6th floor here at the College to receive assistance in either of Canada’s two official languages.

The College’s web site   makes a wide range of information easily available in either language, and Professionally Speaking/Pour parler profession is mailed to members in the language of their choice. Members’ e-mail can be received and replied to in French.

In only its third year of operations, the Ontario College of Teachers continues its efforts to surpass any other regulatory body in providing a pleasant bilingual experience for its members.